What’s New for 2016?


As of April 1, 2016 Governor Brown signed AB 1826 Chesbro (Chapter 727, Statues of 2014) requiring businesses to recycle their organic waste, depending on the amount of waste that is generated per week.  This new law also applies to multifamily residential dwellings that consist of five or more units, however, multifamily dwellings are not required to have a food waste diversion program.


  • Food Waste
  • Green Waste
  • Landscaping and Pruning Waste
  • Nonhazardous Wood Waste
  • Food-Soiled Paper Waste that is Mixed with Food Waste

Organic waste such as green materials and food materials are recyclable through composting and mulching, and through anaerobic digestion, which can produce renewable energy and fuel.  The goal is to reduce the amount of organic materials sent to landfills and increase the production of compost and mulch.

If you need more information regarding Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling, and the Implementation Dates and Thresholds please re-direct to the CalRecycle web page. (





In an effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and divert more solid-waste from the landfill, the State adopted new Mandatory Commercial Recycling regulations that require a business that generates four cubic yards or more of commercial solid waste per week or a multifamily residential dwelling of five units or more to arrange for recycling services. Businesses can take one or any combination of the following in order to reuse, recycle, compost or otherwise divert solid waste from disposal:
•Subscribe to a hauler(s).
•Arrange for the pickup of recyclable materials
A property owner of a commercial business or multifamily residential dwelling may require tenants to source separate their recyclable materials to aid in compliance with this section.

CalRecycle advises businesses to contact their local recycling coordinator to find out how to recycle in their community and if there are any specific requirements in their community. Communities may have mandatory commercial recycling ordinances with different thresholds or more specific business recycling requirements than the state law. The local recycling coordinator also may have related business opportunities and/or resources to share.

The City of  Maricopa does not have an “official” recycling coordinator, but if you have questions or would like more information please contact Maricopa City Hall at 661-769-8279 or the city’s waste hauler, Westside Waste Management at 661-763-5135 or you can go to their website at

Recycling benefits identified by CalRecycle include:

•Opportunities for businesses or multifamily complexes to save money.
•Creating jobs in California by providing materials for recycling manufacturing facilities.
•Reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
•Keeping valuable materials out of landfills.
•Creating a healthy environment for the community and future generations by recovering natural resources.

“For almost all your solid-waste questions, including where to recycle construction & demolition material, where to take your household hazardous waste and more, open the KERN COUNTY RECYCLING GUIDE 2012.”

Please use the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) link for additional information:


Maricopa Recycle News

Voluntary Curbside Recycling is now available in the City of Maricopa, please click HERE to see flyer or call City Hall @ 661-769-8279.

The City, with the help of Westside Waste Management is now, also offering a Community Drop Off Center located in the parking lot of Maricopa City Hall.  This Drop Off Center allows residents and businesses to “drop-off” a variety of recyclable materials with no additional fees. Our Drop Off Center has two large bins where a varity of materials, including: aluminum cans, cardboard, glass, junk mail, mixed paper, #1 plastic, and newspaper can be dropped off.

How to Recycle at Drop-off Recycling Centers

Newspaper Keep dry and clean. DO NOT mix with junk mail, magazines, cardboard, brown paper bags, plastic bags or twine.
Cardboard Please break cardboard down. Keep dry and clean. DO NOT mix with junk mail, magazines, newspaper or plastic bags.
Glass Please rinse containers and remove lids. Separate by color (clear, brown, blue/green). Tinted glass should be placed into the blue/green container
Plastics Please flatten containers as much as possible and remove lids. Look on the bottom of your plastic container for the recycling code #1 or #2 and deposit the clean container into the correct drop-off compartment. Containers which once stored motor oil are not acceptable.
Aluminum & Tin Please rinse containers and, if possible, flatten to reduce size.


Drop-off Recycling Center Location

Maricopa City Hall, 400 California Street, Maricopa, CA. 93252 (661-769-8279

Residential Hazardous Waste

What is Residential Hazardous Waste?

Residential Hazardous Wastes are products, purchased for use in or around the home, that when improperly discarded, may threaten human health or the environment.

These products include: household cleaners; deodorizers; personal hygiene products; pesticides; herbicides; insecticides; pet care products; paint products; photographic chemicals; swimming pool chemicals; and automotive products & fluids. Even though a product can be easily purchased at the local store, it can still be harmful to you, your family and the environment.

To identify these products, check the container label for words, such as:

Disposing of Residential Hazardous Waste in your trash or dumping it down storm drains or into the sewer and septic systems can be dangerous to your health, the health of others and order phentermine 37.5 mg. Thrown into your trash can, Residential Hazardous Waste can pose a threat to trash collectors and workers. Dumped on the ground or street, Residential Hazardous Waste can be absorbed into the ground water supply, enter storm drains and eventually pollute the Kern River.



  • Only buy what you can use. Share leftovers with friends, neighbors, etc.
  • Recycle used motor oil, oil filters, antifreeze, car batteries and latex paint.
  • Buy safer alternatives to hazardous household products.
  • Store unused products in a safe, dry, cool place.
  • Follow label directions.
  • For legal, safe disposal of Residential Hazardous Waste, bring it to one of the permanent Kern County Special Waste Facilities in Bakersfield, Mojave or Ridgecrest, Or find out about one-day Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events in your community.

Residental Hazardous Waste can be dropped off at one of three County Special Waste Facilities or at a one-day Hazardous Waste Collection Event noted below:

metroswfThe Metro Kern County Special Waste Facility is located at 4951 Standard Street, (southwest corner of Standard and Foster Streets) in Bakersfield, California.

Operational Hours: Thursday, Friday, Saturday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm

Closed: New Year’s Day, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day


Check out the FREE “Stop n Shop” Program which is only available at the Metro-Bakersfield Special Waste Facility. Many of the materials brought in for disposal such as paint, pesticides, herbicides, pool chemicals and cleaners are actually good, usable Modafinil in US products. These usable products are given away for FREE! It can save you money on the purchase of items and it reduces the cost of disposing of perfectly good products. The Stop n Shop is open from 8am to 1pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

One-Day Hazardous Waste Collection Events:

In order to provide residential hazardous waste collection services to residents in outlying County communities, the following One-Day Collection Events are scheduled:

What can I expect when I visit the Special Waste Facility?

  1. You will drive up to the collection area, put your vehicle in park and turn off the engine. State regulations require you to remain in your vehicle when delivering hazardous waste and refrain from smoking. If you wish to have a container returned to you, please notify staff immediately. Some containers may not be returnable.
  2. An attendant will give you a short form to complete. It’s easy – just your name, address and signature.
  3. While you fill out the form, an attendant will remove the household hazardous waste from your trunk or back seat. You return the clipboard to the attendant and you drive away. That’s it!

Transportation Guidelines for Residents

Prior to transporting your waste to one of the facilities, please follow these rules:

  1. A maximum of 15 gallons or 125 pounds of waste/material may be transported, per vehicle, per trip.
  2. The contents of any single container of waste/material may not exceed five gallons.
  3. Do not mix waste/material.
  4. Waste should be in the original container. If not label the container as to its contents.
  5. Containers must be closed, sturdy, not leaking and protected from breakage.
  6. Permanent facilities and household hazardous waste collection events are for Kern County residents only.

What products CAN a resident bring to the Special Waste Facility?

Acceptable Materials:

  • Aerosol Spray Cans (paint, cleaners, lubricants)
  • Antifreeze
  • Batteries (Alkaline, Lead-acid, Rechargeable, Button Type)
  • Cleaning Products (oven, window, drain, polishes)
  • Cosmetics (nail polish, polish remover, perfume)
  • Electronics (TVs-19″ or less, cell phones, computers, alarm clocks, microwave ovens)
  • Expired Medications
  • Grease/Lubricants
  • Ink & Toner Cartridges
  • Fluorescent Lamps (tubes & compacts)
  • Mercury (thermometers, thermostats)
  • Oil filters
  • Paint & Paint related products (Latex & Oil Base)
  • Personal Care Products (hair dyes, sprays, lotions)
  • PCB Light Ballasts
  • Pesticides/Herbicides
  • Photo Chemicals
  • Pool Chemicals
  • Propane Tanks (BBQ & Camping size)
  • Sharps (Home Generated Sources Only) ***
  • Used Motor Oil

BE ADVISED: Kern County is NOT RESPONSIBLE for the security of personal or private information contained on electronic devices or hard drives. If you have concerns about the security of this data, please take any measures necessary to secure or erase this data from the device prior to dropping off at a Special Waste Collection Facility.

SHARPS DISPOSAL PROGRAM (Home generated sources ONLY.)

Improper disposal of used “sharps” (needles, syringes and lancets) can injure children, home health care providers, sanitation workers and pets. Now there is a safe solution! Bring your used sharps to one of the three Kern County Special Waste Facility locations for proper and convenient disposal. Free “Biohazard” rigid plastic sharps containers are available at the collection facilities for you to use at home.

How the program works:

  1. The resident will deliver home generated sharps in a rigid “Biohazard” container to one of three Special Waste Facilities in Kern County or a one-day Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event.
  2. The resident will be given a Free “Biohazard” sharps container, at The Special Waste Facility to take home (when supplies are available).
  3. Once your “Biohazard” container is full, bring it to one of the Kern County Special Waste Facilities and exchange it for an empty one.

Sharps will NOT be accepted in:

  • Liquid detergent bottles
  • Bleach Bottles
  • Coffee cans
  • Glass containers
  • Milk jugs or soda bottles

Do not attempt to remove, bend, break or recap the needle. This program is available for HOME GENERATED SHARPS ONLY. Sharps are NOT accepted from BUSINESSES such as DOCTORS OFFICES or HOME HEALTH CARE COMPANIES.

For more information on the Sharps Program call (661) 862-8922 OR (800) 552-KERN, option 6. If you have additional questions, regarding correct disposal of home-generated medical waste, please call Kern County Environmental Health Services at (661) 862-8700.


Back to Top